Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Hamdog

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am not one to be concerned with my health. Yes, it is true I have gained around 60 pounds since highschool and yes it is true I was once a sexy man with a 4-pack stomach (not quite a 6-pack). However in recent years I have become a little more fluffy. Ok, ok, ok, I am freaking fat. But it is things like the 'Hamdog' that keep me that way. I enjoy fried foods, read meat, chicken fingers, and all things potato. And even though I once played two sports in highschool, I can't motivate myself to consistently go to the gym.

So, what is the Hamdog, you ask. The Hamdog is a local celebrity. A bar in Oakhurst (Mulligan's) serves the Hamdog along with the Luther Burger and has recently made national press (and Jay Leno) for doing so.

Hamdog: "hot dog wrapped by a beef patty that's deep fried, covered with chili, cheese and onions and served on a hoagie bun. Oh yeah, it's also topped with a fried egg and two fistfuls of fries"

Luther Burger: "a bacon-cheeseburger served on a Krispy Kreme doughnut bun"

See this AP article for more information or you can search on google for 'Mulligans' and 'Hamdog' for all sorts of reviews on the fattening foods.

Anyways, back to the point of my post. My friend Stewart called and said his wife was out of town for the week and that he had heard about this place on Jay Leno and wanted to try it out but it sounded like a guy place (it is definitely a guy place since his wife said she would never go there), so we headed over there. After a Hamdog and fries and 2 pitchers of beer, I probably need bypass surgery, but this is not the point of my post. Tonight reminded me how important our friends are to us.

I feel so blessed to have had such a great group of friends before we moved to ATL. The hardest part about moving to me was leaving our friends. Then we got here and quickly made great friends. Had we not made such good friends when we moved, I probably would not have made it through the past 14 months, so I guess God knew what he/she (that is for you 'inclusive language seminary liberals') was doing by blessing me with friends here in Decatur. The great thing about good friends is that no matter how long it has been since you have seen them, you pick up right where you left off. And that is what Stewart and I did tonight. God has blessed me with great friends and although the Hamdog almost gave me a coronary, it reminded me how truly blessed I am.

So, to all of you out there who are my friends, thanks for being my friend even when I am jackass.

Love,
Frank

1 comment:

Melanie said...

you are welcome. . .

:)