Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Movies (and BEER)!

Yeah, I know I have been a slacker updating this blog. 2 years ago when I was updating my blog all the time I was doing it because I had nothing better to do at work. However now I actually like my job and stay busy (for most of every day). So, you are just going to have to be patient with me as I try and get back into this routine (and try to find time to do it).

Morgan and I have been really busy since my last post and I have thought several times "I should blog about this". There was the weekend in Memphis (highlight was ribs from Rendezvous and the piano bar Silkys). There was Morgan's birthday (yes she has joined the 30s club). There was moving my brother into my house (he doesn't have a job yet so he is living with us). But, what I really want to share is my experience at the Movie Tavern.

The Movie Tavern is a new movie theater near our house in the Northlake Mall area. Morgan and I went to see the new Indiana Jones movie. I dont' want to spend a lot of time talking about that movie because I think people built it up in their heads too much and so they were disappointed. However, if you watch it right after watching any of the other Indy movies then you will quickly realize that it is exactly on par with the other movies. I enjoyed it.

We also went to see the Sex and the City movie. Okay, I know you are thinking to yourself, "This guy is a big wimp if he went to see this movie. I should take his 'Man Card' away!". You are probably right and I would say the same thing about any of you men out there reading this. However, let me defend myself with two very important points:
1- I am leaving tomorrow (Thursday) for a golf trip with 27 other guys (From what I can tell from what the friend who invited me has told me about this trip the golfing is just an excuse to go act like college frat students again. I will post about this trip when I get back) so going to the movie was a preemptive way of avoiding the guilt of leaving my wife home alone while I was off being stupid.
2- They serve BEER at the Movie Tavern!

Point 2 is the important thing here. You see the Movie Tavern is a great concept. Why didn't I think this up. It works like this; it is a movie theater that also has food and BEER. SIMPLE!

First of all the ticket prices are cheaper than anywhere. It is $7 to see a movie. If someone can find a cheaper new movie ticket price in the ATL area I would like to know about it. Since I am a cheapskate they get me with the ticket prices. Then you walk in and they have a snack bar like any other theater; candy and popcorn and soft drinks. BUT WAIT, they have burgers and pizza and cheese dip and chicken wraps and french fries and BEER! So, you order what you want and they give you one of those table flags (like you get at Jason's Deli) and you go into your movie theater.

Once in the theater you will see that every row of comfortable and reclining chairs has a long table in front of it for your food. As you watch the previews and gulp your "tanker-sized" beer (more on this below) the wait staff delivers your food to you. The food prices are reasonable; $4-8 for an entree (ie. burger and fries). And the beer is reasonable; $3 for a domestic or $4 for an import.

But wait, there is more. They also have the "TANKER". It is a 38oz glass mug that you can purchase for $9 (that doesn't include the beer) and then you can fill the tanker with whatever domestic draft beer you want for $7. You get to keep the mug (you bought it for $9) and you can bring it back with you every time you come and refill it for $7. The only way to beat this price is to head back to the Plains for $5 pitchers...

So, as you can see the Movie Tavern is my new favorite place to go to the movies. I will even go see stupid chick flicks at this theater because I can eat cheese dip and drink beer (and score brownie points with the wife)!

Peace and Cheese Dip,

-Homer

3 comments:

WT said...

Don't know if you're still checking the comments this far back, but I had to remind you that the Starlight Drive In is cheaper: $6 for a double feature, and you get to bring all your own (much cheaper!) food and drink with you. Of course, you don't get the comfy seats...

Anonymous said...

The Movie Tavern sound fun. There used to be a "Pitcher Show" in Vestavia where you could get pitchers of beer along with your movie. I was only in high school then, but I still thought it would be fun to go...

SG^2 said...

Hi there,

My name is Salvador. I'm the operation's manager for Movieboozer.com | Movies Measured by the Pint! We rate movies by beers. I came upon your website thought we had a common bond, we both love cinema and beer. I wanted to invite you to visit my website. We were thinking perhaps we could network and link one another's websites.

Thank you for your consideration,

-Salvador
@movieboozer(twitter)
http://www.movieboozer.com/