Saturday, June 21, 2008

MacBook and XP

Well, I have finally joined the MacBook cult. After ordering and receiving two broken Dell's (one had a bad video card and the other a bad network card) and not getting any sympathy from Dell for it, I have vowed to never buy from Dell again (which means my organization will never buy from them again since being the IT guy is part of my ever-expanding job description).

So, I looked at HP, Lenovo, and Mac and finally decided on a MacBook. I have purchased the regular MacBook with a 2.4 ghz processor and 4 GB of ram. It is smaller than my 15" Dell, but I think I am going to like being able to carry it more places more easily.

The new Mac OS (Leopard) comes with a utility called Boot Camp. Boot Camp allows you to easily partition part of your hard drive for another OS and to run another OS on your MacBook. So, since I have a few applications that I use that I must use on Windows (accounting package and medical billing package), I installed Windows XP in a Boot Camp partition. So, I can either boot to Leopard or XP. This is a great feature, but what I really need is the ability to access Windows while in Leopard. So, I have also purchased Parallels (actually I haven't purchased it yet, I am still in the trial period). Parallels essentially creates a virtual machine in a window within Leopard. The new version of Parallels allows you to use your Boot Camp version as the virtual machine. So, now I can either boot directly to XP or Leopard OR I can access XP from within Leopard.

I am still trying to figure out all of the different nuances of this configuration, but so far I love it. I am also trying to get used to the Mac OS and having only one button to click. And I am trying to figure out how to share documents between my Office 2007 setup in XP and my Office 2008 for the Mac in Leopard. So, anyone out there with advice or other ways to make this configuration work better for me, please let me know.

So, I am not a total MacBook convert, but I am now living more in the Mac world and only visit XP out of necessity.

"Hi I am a PC AND a Mac"
-Robert

PS- Anyone have tips on how to move Outlook 2007 .pst files into Entourage 2008?

3 comments:

WT said...

i think "MacBook and XP (and Beer)" would've made for a better post.

I am still torn about what kind to buy for law school... i've never successfully used a mac, but they are so cool! good to hear you don't mind the smaller screen, that's been one of my concerns.

Stushie said...

Does that mean you've gone from being PC(USA) to MAC(USA)?

Dan W. Boles said...

I would love to know more about how the Boot Camp and Parallels experience is going... I'm now part of the cult too, but need Windows to run DotNetNuke for some of my web development projects, including the redev and relaunch of Cherokee Presbytery's website.